National Archaeological Museum of Reggio Calabria
Also known as
National Museum of Magna Graecia
, it has one of the most remarkable collections of artefacts from Ancient Greece.
The historic site is represented by a massive square building with four floors, designed by
and built between 1932 and 1941, currently under renovation, with reopening scheduled for March 2011.
The museum is rich in archaeological finds, with excavated material from sites of Calabria, Basilicata and Sicily, relating especially to the culture of Ancient Greece from the VII
century BC onwards, but also to ages of primeval history, and to Roman and Byzantine periods.
The underwater archeology section includes findings from the Calabrian seabed.
Among these, there are the pieces from a ship found in the waters of
, all dating around the century V BC, among which statues in bronze and in particular the
Head of The Philosopher
, a rare and valuable example of Greek portraiture.
The fame of the collection is associated especially with the famous
Bronzes of Riace
, discovered in 1972 off the coast of Riace, two extraordinary statues of the century V BC, made in bronze with polychrome details.
There are many finds from excavations affecting the Locrian area: amphorae, vases, terracottas, marbles, capitals and other valuables.
In particular, the bronze
of the century VI BC, the
from the archives of the
Sanctuary of Olympian Zeus
at Locri, and an important collection of
, terracotta votive tablets with bas-relief representations, dating back to the century III BC.
There are also several examples of Hellenistic period coming from the colonies of Calabrian Great Greece, besides the same Rhegion: Kaulonia, Laos, Krimisa and Metauros.
Among the exhibits, a beautiful
with compartments, a fine container of cosmetics and jewelry, dating back to century IV BC.
Rich and interesting, finally, the section of numismatics, containing Brettian, Greek and Roman coins.