The Doge's Palace in Venice
Built as early as the 9th century as a castle, later became the representative palace of the doges, until it assumed its sumptuous appearance, a masterpiece of Venetian Gothic architecture,
between the 14th and the 15th century.
Seat of economic, commercial and political power and center of the
, was extended over time, enriched by works of art, and modified even after extensive restoration, particularly after the severe fires of 1483 and 1574.
The unmistakable feature of the building is given by the loggias below, that confer lightness to the air base, dominated however by the powerful upper body covered with marble inlays,
on which stand out the dark shapes of large pointed windows, with a unique effect of static reversal.
The porch has lowered its appearance for works to elevate the ground floor to counter the progressive rise in sea level.
The facades on the pier and on the central square are decorated with balconies, added in the fifteenth century, and by various groups of contemporary and later sculptures.
The access to the building is given by the famous
Porta della Carta
, built by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Bon, dominated by the
Lion of San Marco
and a trifora window with twisted columns.
Reached the courtyard, you go up to the plane of arcades across the
, which takes its name from the two colossal statues of Mars and Neptune by Sansovino, placed at its sides.
Going up the
, rich in stuccoes and gorgeous decorations, you reach the main floor and the immense
Hall of the Great Council
, whose decoration was entrusted to Veronese, Palma il Giovane and Tintoretto, who lined the entire background wall, behind the throne: his
is the largest canvas in the world.
Adjacent, there is the
Hall of Scrutinio
, equally magnificent, which ends with a majestic triumphal arch by Andrea Tirali.
Overlooking the canal called
Rio di Palazzo
are the apartments of the doge and some judicial rooms.
On the second floor is the
Hall of Four Doors
, which owes its name to its magnificent marble portals and preserves wonderful decorative paintings by Tintoretto, Titian and Tiepolo.
Successively, the rich and solemn
Hall of the Senate
, with works by Tintoretto and Palma il Giovane, the
Hall of the Council of Ten
Hall of the Compass
Then, on the second floor, there are other judicial rooms and the rooms of the Administration.
Beyond the Rio is the building called
, that is connected with the Doge's Palace by the famous
Bridge of Sighs